I am a novice who has never run for an elected office. I want to test the proposition that an "ordinary citizen" can be elected to office; that we are a government "by the people, for the people" and that we are capable of governing ourselves without the need of a professional political class.
I don't believe we have been well served by the professional politicians. My goal is to devote all my energy to serving my fellow citizens, not the party.
The Federal Government is too large and oppressive. Government should not be in the business of determining what is "fair;" be it the taxes we pay, or the property we own. Moreover, the government should not dictate what car we may drive, what type of gun we may own, or what sort of light bulbs we may use. Our Nation should be a place of progressive freedom and not regressive servitude.
We should adhere to the U.S. Constitution as our guiding document. Changes should occur through the amendment process and not through judicial fiat. I would not vote to confirm anyone who will not uphold the Constitution and ALL amendments.
- Equal protection under the law - Period. Any law that would divide us along the lines of race, gender, or income is unconstitutional, divisive and destructive.
- Reduce Federal corporate taxes and eliminate corporate welfare. The current tax code is a drain on the economy and favor so-called "Non-Profits." Further, elimination of corporate taxation will free religious organizations to fully participate in the political process without fear of retaliation.
- Equal treatment under the tax code. A tax code that is too difficult for the Treasury Secretary to understand must be eliminated and replaced with a Flat Tax.
- Resist restrictions on all types of speech: print, visual, audio, electronic. The McCain-Feingold Incumbent Protection Act is a blatant restriction on free speech. If speech is not money then let the New York Times print anything they wish -- but not be allowed to charge any money for advertisement.
- Enhance our security: Protect our borders and maintain a strong, effective National Defense.
- Tighten registration procedures to prevent identity theft and protect the integrity of the voting process. Electronic voting should include a receipt confirming voter intent and for auditing purposes.
- Balance the budget. An easy thing to do as there is no end of the waste in the Federal Government.
- Eliminate Congressional pensions; "Public Service" is not the place to acquire wealth, power, and prestige.
- Eliminate the pernicious death tax that destroys family businesses.
- Innocent human life should be protected. Local jurisdictions should have the choice to impose restrictions on abortion. Further, tax dollars should not subsidize abortion.
- Marriage: Check your local dictionary for the definition.